Friday, May 9, 2014

What is Math?

What exactly is mathematics, you ask? If you were to ask me that question even two years ago, my answer would be extremely different. At that time, I was still completing the Calculus sequences (Calc 1, Calc 2, and Calc 3). At that time, math meant strict calculations: whether it be addition, deriving, or integrating. At that moment in my life, math was very literal and very black and white.

My answer now includes those original thoughts, but goes much, much deeper. Now, I believe Mathematics to be a subject that encompasses everything logical. Mathematics is an tool to problem solve, whether that problem be dealt with numbers or patterns excluding numbers (such that Discrete has taught me). It is a subject that can account for so much of our world and our existence. Mathematics is a tool that, if used correctly, can explain many natural and man-made occurrences that surround us.

No comments:

Post a Comment