Friday, May 16, 2014

Tessellations

Above is the tessellation I completed in class. I will continue to expand on this project.
From the looks of it, there are two complete figures above:

Figure 1: Yellow Hexagon               
               Red Trapezoids
                Orange Squares
               

Figure 2: Yellow Hexagon
                Blue Parallelograms
                Green Equal-lateral Triangles
                Tan Elongated Parallelograms

Note: Though the figures can be determined in multiple different ways because of connecting pieces, to make things easier I have divided things as such.

Reasons for the tessellation being incomplete is because of time constraints and limited material. If I had enough time and pieces, however, I would construct three more of Figure 1 and attach them to the bottom of Figure 2. This would complete the circle of Figure 1's around Figure 2. From there, I would construct multiple Figure 2's and fill in such spaces around the six Figure 1's. This process could continue on and on without spaces between Figures.

I researched other tessellations and included them below:

                                                  
 Credit                                                 Credit                                        Credit                     

3 comments:

  1. I really like the design that you created on your own. It is clear how the design repeats it self and how it fits together perfectly without any odd spaces or gaps. It is nice that you have provided other pictures of tessellations for the reader to get a more defined understanding of what a tessellation really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tessellation you created! And how you used your empty space is great and I took a few pointers from your design because when making tessellations I always seem to have empty space left. The use of different colors is also really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this pattern a lot. This post has me messing around again with it... http://mathhombre.tumblr.com/post/87403199049/archimedean-tiling-my-students-tiling-has-me When I tweeted it, someone suggested this theorem for you: http://www.theoremoftheday.org/GeometryAndTrigonometry/SRTiling/TotDSRtilings.pdf

    If you want to make it digitally, there are some online patternblocks (also with an app): http://mathtoybox.com/patblocks3/patblocks3.html#.U4oF1S8Wexo

    To make this an exemplar, it could use a bit more content. Two ways to think about it, at least. One way - more about the math, either the mathematical things you notice in the pattern, or more about the mathematical properties of the tiles that make your pattern possible. Two, think about this as a teacher. What would students get out of an activity like this, how might you use it, etc.


    ReplyDelete